The Nursing Residency Program is designed for enhancing clinical judgement and critical thinking skills during and after the preceptor program for a total of 12 months after orientation is complete. During the residency, the new Staff Nurse will experience:
- Trained and supportive preceptors to help the individual develop their clinical skills, delegation, time management and professional practice.
- Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists and Nursing Leaders who are invested in the Staff Nurses individualized learning plan.
- Increases decision-making competence and confidence
- Improves professional commitment and satisfactions
- Enables consistent use of evidence-based practices
- Builds stronger clinical nursing leadership and critical thinking skills
- Provides individual development plans for their new role
- Seminars and simulation experiences to deepen the Nurse’s knowledge of evidence-based nursing practice.
- Participation in an evidence-based practice project under the guidance of a specialty or advanced practice nurse that will benefit Fisher – Titus Medical Center.
- The supportive nursing environment and collaboration of Nursing Leadership, Nursing Professional Development specialists/Nurse Educators & Patient Safety & Accreditation teams.
Nurse Residency Program Overview
- Complete General Orientation
- Nursing Orientation includes Hands on, Simulation, ECG & Pharmacology course, pediatric foundations, etc.
- Enter the Nurse Residency Program (Preceptor Program)
- Rotate between units for a total of 16 weeks when applicable
- 12 Month investment into continuing education provided by the Ohio Nurse Association Provider Unit #285 for new nurse to earn 36-48 Continuing Education hours
- Nurse Educators will provide case scenarios that the Nurse Resident must complete prior to coming to the educational event to enhance critical thinking
- Required to attend once a month a 3-hour educational program that includes didactic, hands on and mock scenario education
- Must complete the Nurse Residency Essay. Please submit a one-page document on how you align with the Fisher-Titus mission statement, vision, and values.