The liver is the organ that filters, processes and breaks down what passes through your body. It’s responsible for filtering your blood and helping it to clot, breaking down any chemicals, alcohol and drugs you take in while producing glucose and bile, two important substances you need to stay healthy.
When the liver becomes overwhelmed with toxins and pollutants, its natural working cycle slows down. Besides alcohol, drugs and other taxing chemicals, we tend to overload our livers with processed and fried foods, especially when consumed in large quantities.
But what foods cleanse your liver? The good news is there are many foods you’re probably already eating that can help to cleanse your liver naturally. These delicious options stimulate the liver’s natural ability to expel toxins from the body.
Here are 10 foods you can add to your diet to cleanse your liver.
- Garlic: Garlic contains selenium, a mineral that helps to detoxify the liver. It also has the ability to activate liver enzymes that can help your body naturally flush out toxins.
- Citrus Fruits: Fruits like grapefruit, oranges, limes and lemons all boost the liver’s cleansing ability. Even consumed in small amounts (we know some of these can be tart!), citrus fruits help the liver to produce the detoxifying enzymes that flush out pollutants.
- Vegetables: Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower contain glucosinolate, which helps the liver to produce detoxifying enzymes. They also contain sulfur compounds that aid with liver health. Leafy vegetables are high in chlorophyll, which leaches toxins out of the blood stream. They can neutralize heavy metals to protect the liver.
- Turmeric: This herb works wonders for the liver—it helps the enzymes that flush out toxins and contains antioxidants that repair liver cells. It also assists the liver in detoxing metals, while boosting bile production.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are high in the amino acid arginine and assist the liver in detoxifying ammonia. They’re high in glutathione and omega-3 fatty acids, which all provide support to natural liver cleansing.
- Beets: Beets assist with increasing oxygen by cleansing the blood, and can break down toxic wastes to help them be excreted quicker. They stimulate bile flow and boost enzymatic activity. Beets also contain fiber and Vitamin C, which both are natural cleansers for the digestive system.
- Carrots: Carrots are very high in plant-flavonoids and beta-carotene, which stimulates and supports liver function overall. They also contain Vitamin A, which prevents liver disease.
- Green Tea: If you’re thirsty from all the liver-benefiting foods, try some green tea. This beverage contains catechins, plant-based antioxidants known to improve liver function. Be careful to stick to green tea and not green tea extract, which can potentially negatively impact liver health.
- Apples: Apples contain high levels of pectin, a chemical that helps the body cleanse and release toxins from the digestive tract. With fewer toxins in the digestive tract, the liver can better manage its toxin load, being able to better cleanse the rest of the body.
- Avocado: Avocados are basically a superfood. In addition to cleansing your arteries, they help the body naturally produce glutathione, the compound that helps the liver rid itself of toxins.
Improve your overall digestive health by staying on top of your diet, while paying attention to any symptoms you might be experiencing. Keep your overall health in check with one of our physicians today. Search our directory to find one near you.